The web is filled with collections of recommended apps for special education. Some of the "Best of" lists are better than others. Some are categorized using a system that is difficult to follow. Some Top Ten Apps for Special Education include apps for the widest possible range of special needs, rendering the author's recommendation of the top ten apps meaningless.
Instead, I've compiled helpful collections of resources for educators working with students with special needs. Here are recommendations I believe to be excellent compilations of apps and extensions to use with students with special needs:
- Apps for Special Education - compiled by Spectronics. An extensive list with detailed information about each recommended app
- Friendship Circle Apps - Excellent app reviews and recommendations by category - Communication, Social Skills, Education, Life Skills, Behavior, Speech and Language and Scheduling
- Learning Works for Kids - Well designed and an innovative way to search for apps by Thinking Skill, Learning Skill or Learning Challenge.
- Bridging Apps - Extensive Search capabilities, search by keyword.
- Chrome AT Toolbox - Apps and Extensions for the Chrome browser
Crazy for Chrome - A Symbaloo collections of recommended Chrome Apps and Extensions for struggling learners. AzTech
Of course, when considering tool recommendations, it is essential to ask What tasks does the student need to perform that are difficult or impossible? How do we build upon the student's strengths to promote engagement, success, independence and a joy for learning? It's not just about the tool, but for many students, the tool makes things possible.
Are there any outstanding lists I've missed? Add your recommendations in the comments section. I love to learn from others.