Here are three education-friendly search engines that can be put on classroom computers.
- Ask for Kids or Ask.com depending upon the age of your students
- Answers.com (evaluate the difference between the classic home page and the deluxe home page)
- Yahooligans (the old stand-by)
Explore the differences between the search engines with your students using your SmartBoard or digital projector and teach evaluation of web resources.
- Ask your students which search engines they prefer and why?
- What do they think of the interface? Is there too much information on the home page?
- Is the site easy to use?
- Submit a search in each engine and notice which sites are ranked on the first page. Compare the quality of the results.
Have a great day!